NIGERIAN LANGUAGES AND THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a set of 17 global goals with 169 targets.
WHAT ARE THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS?
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a set of 17 global goals with 169 targets. They are spearheaded by the United Nations and involve 193 member states, as well as global civil society. The goals are contained in paragraph 54 of the United Nations Resolution A/RES/70/1 of 25 September 2015. The resolution is a broader inter-governmental agreement that acts as the successor to the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
The SDGs cover a broad range of sustainable development issues like ending poverty and hunger, improving health and education, making cities more sustainable, combating climate change, and protecting oceans and forests. Four dimensions are identified as part of a global vision for sustainable development: inclusive social development; environmental sustainability; inclusive economic development; and peace and security. In a nutshell, the 17 global goals of the SDGs include the following:
- Goal 1: No Poverty â€“ End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Goal 2: Zero Hunger â€“ End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Goal 3: Good Health and Well-being â€“ Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Goal 4: Quality Education â€“ Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Goal 5: Gender Equality â€“ Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Goal 6: Clean Water and Sanitation â€“ Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Goal 7: Affordable and Clean Energy â€“ Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all
- Goal 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth â€“ Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Goal 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure â€“ Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Goal 10: Reduced Inequalities â€“ Reduce income inequalities within and among countries
- Goal 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities â€“ Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production â€“ Ensure sustainable and consumption and production patterns
- Goal 13: Climate Action â€“ Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts by regulating emissions and promoting developments in renewable energy
- Goal 14: Life Below Water â€“ Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Goal 15: Life on Land â€“ Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Goal 16: Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions â€“ Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Goal 17: Partnership for the Goals â€“ Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.